a) remove oil pump
b) remove front timing gear cover
c) remove flywheel housing
d) remove pistons
1. Attach a hoist to the crankshaft.
2. Remove the main bearing cap retaining nuts and washers. Remove the main bearing caps.
3. Remove the crankshaft - weight 535 lbs. (243 kg).
4. Remove the crankshaft main bearings from the cylinder block and main bearing caps.
1. Rotate the crankshaft front idler gear until "V" mark on gear is toward crankshaft when installed.
2. Rotate the crankshaft rear idler gear until "V" mark on gear is toward crankshaft when installed.
3. Install and lubricate the upper halves of crankshaft main bearings.
4. Attach a hoist and position the crankshaft in cylinder block with "V" marks on front and rear crankshaft gears aligned with "V" marks on front and rear idler gears.
5. Install lower halves of main bearings in the main bearing caps. Install the main bearing caps in their respective positions with number stamped on cap adjacent to corresponding number stamped on inside of cylinder block.
6. Lubricate the threads of retaining nuts and face of washers with clean SAE 30 oil. Install the retaining nuts and washers. Tighten nuts in the following step sequence:
1 Tighten all main bearing cap retaining nuts in letter sequence A-B-C-D to an initial torque of 60 ± 5 lb. ft. (8,3 ± 0,7 mkg).
2 Mark the nuts and end of studs. Tighten retaining nuts in letter sequence A-B-C-D an additional 120 ± 5° from mark.
7. Check the main bearing clearance. Main bearing clearance should be .0046-.0076 in. (0,117-0,193 mm) with new bearings. Maximum permissible clearance is .010 in. (0,25 mm).
8. Check the crankshaft end play (controlled by the thrust bearings on rear main bearing cap). End play should be .010-.022 in. (0,25-0,56 mm).
a) install oil pump
b) install flywheel housing
c) install front timing gear cover
d) install pistons
e) check fuel injection pump camshaft timing (See FUEL INJECTION PUMP CAMSHAFT TIMING in TESTING AND ADJUSTING)