- Vibratory Asphalt Compactor
- CB54B (S/N: LXD1-UP; RJN1-UP; S4P1-UP)
This Special Instruction contains procedures to install new water tanks in the machines listed above. The new water tanks have new geometry and extra frame support along with the addition of secondary cross over tube.
Important Safety Information
Work safely. Most accidents that involve product operation, maintenance, and repair are caused by failure to observe basic safety rules or precautions. An accident can often be avoided by recognizing potentially hazardous situations before an accident occurs. A person must be alert to potential hazards. This person should also have the necessary training, skills, and tools to perform these functions properly.
Safety precautions and warnings are provided in this instruction and on the product. If these hazard warnings are not heeded, bodily injury or death could occur to you or to other persons. Caterpillar cannot anticipate every possible circumstance that might involve a potential hazard. Therefore, the warnings in this publication and the warnings that are on the product are not all inclusive.
Ensure that all personnel are safe when using a tool, procedure, work method, or operating technique not recommended by Caterpillar. Ensure that the product will not be damaged or the product made unsafe by the operation, lubrication, maintenance, or the repair procedures that are used.
Do not operate or work on this machine unless you have read and understand the instructions and warnings in the Operation and Maintenance manuals. Failure to follow the instructions or heed the warnings could result in injury or death. Contact your authorized dealer for replacement manuals. Proper care is your responsibility.
Shut off engine and remove key before performing maintenance or repair work. Failure to do so may result in personal injury due to inadvertant machine operation.
Do not start the engine or move any of the controls if there is a “Do Not Operate” or similar warning tag attached to the start switch or controls.
Installation Procedure for New Water Tanks
- Remove the former water tanks from the machine.
Reference: Disassembly and Assembly, "Water Tank - Remove and Install"
Illustration 1 g03697816
- Remove the existing 360-2551 Mount (A) from the rear frame assembly.
Illustration 2 g03697817 (B) 64.5 mm (2.54 inch)
85 mm (3.3 inch)
50 mm (2.0 inch)at two sides
(E) Drill diameter of
11 mm (0.4 inch)at two places Illustration 3 g03697818 Illustration 4 g03697819
- Drill two holes (F) of diameter (E) of
11 mm (0.4 inch)on the frame as per dimensions shown in Illustration 2. Illustration 5 g03697820 (G) 206.2 mm (8.12 inch)
448.8 mm (17.67 inch) Illustration 6 g03697821 (J) 531 mm (20.9 inch)
275.8 mm (10.86 inch)
255.2 mm (10.05 inch)
81.2 mm (3.20 inch)
(N) Radius of
235 mm (9.3 inch)
(P) Radius of
20 mm (0.8 inch)at four edges
9.2 mm (0.4 inch)
125.9 mm (4.96 inch)at two places
- Enlarge the size of two areas of the frame as per dimensions shown in Illustration 5 and Illustration 6.
Note: Some frames have a smaller hole and some may have a larger hole so the layout might look different than the illustrations but the layout for the dimensions will be correct.
- Measurement H and G overlap each other. Use measurement H. Before cutting the hole in the frame in illustration 5, disconnect and cap the hydraulic hoses for the right rear final drive. Remove the clamp and bolt from the L bracket. Cut the L bracket for hydraulic hoses off and save the hardware for later use.
Illustration 7 g03697823 (V) 30 mm (1.2 inch)at four places
(X) Radius of
30 mm (1.2 inch)at four edges
120 mm (4.7 inch)
- Fabricate a plate (U) of thickness
10 mm (0.4 inch)as per dimensions shown in Illustration 7.
- Set the U plate directly in the enlarged hole in the frame. Weld the plate in place. Use the L bracket that was cut off earlier and weld the bracket in the center of the U plate on the backside.
Illustration 8 g03697824 (Z) 98.8 mm (3.89 inch)
90 mm (3.5 inch)
120 mm (4.7 inch)
- Weld the plate (U) into the area of frame as per dimensions shown in Illustration 8.
Illustration 9 g03697825 (W1) 6 mm (0.2 inch)fillet weld Illustration 10 g03697826 (W1) 6 mm (0.2 inch)fillet weld
- Weld new bracket (1) and bracket (2) to the frame as shown in Illustration 9 and Illustration 10.
- Remove the existing parts from the old tanks. Install the removed parts on new water tank groups.
- Install the 2 elbows, clamps and vent hoses into the new center water tank, and secure them together with zip ties.
Illustration 11 g03778617 434-5082Water Tank Gp Illustration 12 g03778618 434-5087Water Tank Gp
- Install one new elbow (3) and one new grommet (4) on top of water tank group (5).
- Reuse existing fittings from the old tank on bottom of water tank group (5).
Illustration 13 g03778623
- Install new water tank group (5) and water tank (6) to the respective water tank group using the hardware listed in Table 1 as shown in Illustration 11.
- After installing the tanks into the machine frame, install new straps to secure the center tank. Reuse the straps from the rear tank to secure the new tank.
- Remove both lower supply hoses. Install the hoses on the opposite sides of each other because the hoses are not long enough to reach the lower fittings on the center tank. Route hoses in with the existing P-clips so that the hoses are not rubbing on the frame.